Monday, March 21, 2011

12 Weeks to a Rockin' Bod & Best Chickpea Salad Ever!

Before I get into my post, I just have to ask did anyone see Kirstie Alley on Dancing with the Stars tonight? Man, that girl can shake some serious booty - she totally rocked it out! It just goes to show that no matter your age, skill level or size, you can do anything you desire with a little heart and alot of effort - way to go Girl!!

...and now onto my post ;-)

Since starting my blog, I've done a 21 day cleanse, I'm trying to eat one large salad everyday and I'm getting my workout plan on track. With so much extra time on my hands (insert sarcasm) and my apparent love of goals and challenges, my friend Shannon and I have committed ourselves to a 12 week "get fit & lose the winter pounds" program. We`re going to get rid of those muffin tops and get back into our most fave jeans just in time for summer!

Shannon is following a 12 week online program, while I am going to eat right and work out with my goal being to lose 20 pounds. As a reward for our hard work and commitment we are going to do something fabulous at the end of the 12 weeks - can you say spa day!!

We've been talking about getting fit for weeks now while giving in to the temptation of the M & Ms machine in the lunchroom and becoming regulars at the pizza place right across the street from our work. With summer just around the corner, we decided last week that it was now or never! I know you`re probably thinking, well didn`t this girl just do a 3 week cleanse and yeah I did, but I only lost 2 pounds. I felt great and energized but I wasn`t getting to the gym much at all and the weight just wasn`t coming off!

I`m going to do some before & after pictures and stats, but I won't be sharing them with you until a few weeks in because right now they are too darn embarrassing :-) My plan is to post my "today" and then my 6 week photo and then my end photo. I need to show you to help me stay honest and on track, but I'm just not quite ready for an unveiling yet.

I want to incorporate this 12 week challenge as part of my blog, so from Monday to Friday, I will be posting healthy and figure-friendly recipes and discussing my fitness progress. The weekends are going to be for fun stuff about love, life, my poochies or anything else that strikes me as blog-worthy. I`m also planning to share one amazing, decadent recipe per week that will cause you to drool from the sinfulness. We have lots of birthdays coming up, so this is where I'm going to let my inner baking diva go crazy because I can give the goods away and not be tempted all week with chocolate and cake and other ooey gooey goodness.

In keeping with my " salad a day" goal, I`m going to introduce you to a fabulous and mouth-watering salad that I had for dinner.

Friends, please meet Tahini Avocado Chickpea Salad from Oh She Glows. I have been amazed again and again at the delicious and creamy salad dressings I can make at home! This tahini avocado dressing is so delicious!

Tahini Avocado Chickpea Salad
Slightly adapted from Oh She Glows

Dressing:
1/2 large avocado (about 1/2 c)
1 tsp avocado oil (olive oil would work)
1 garlic clove, chopped finely
3 tbsp tahini (or to taste)
2 tbsp water (use more if you like a thinner dressing)
1.5 tbsp lemon juice 
1/2 tbsp lime juice
3/4 tsp cumin
1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt (I used spicy Herbamare)
1/4 tsp pepper

Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.

To assemble the salad:
3 c greens (I used mix of red leaf lettuce and baby spinach)
1 c chickpeas
3/4 c chopped veggies (I used cucumber, red and orange pepper)
Freshly ground black pepper & paprika (I forgot to use these, but I think they would be great - they are used in the original recipe)
4-5 tbsp tahini avocado dressing (or whatever amount you like)

Note: Assemble the salad immediately before serving. Because there is avocado in the dressing, you must use it up within a day or two.

Assemble your dressing ingredients.

Blend in your food processor. My mini processor is awesome for dressings!


Get your mixed greens washed and chopped and pull out your veggies.


Start assembling your salad.




Serve & enjoy!


This salad is fabulous. It`s fresh and delicious and so much better than a traditional lettuce salad!
I can honestly say that I don`t think I will ever buy a bottled salad dressing again!

Do you have a fave salad that you think I should try? I'm always looking for some fun & inventive salads because I can't stand the thoughts of eating plain ol' lettuce day after day?!

I hope you have a wonderful Monday evening!!

Andrea

4 comments:

  1. I'm excited to follow along in your "lose the winter pounds" challenge-- I'm doing the same thing right now! Spring is such a good time to eat lighter and get more active!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chopped salads; they've got so much variety! You can just throw together a bunch of your favorite veggies, cut up into little cubes, like: peas, asparagus, potatoes, beans, celery, apples, carrots, cucumbers, etc.

    This would taste great with an Asian vinaigrette or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds fantastic! Thanks for the idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this salad from Oh She Glows too! Isn't it fantastic? It was really unique and I loved all the different textures going on. Good luck in meeting all your health and fitness goals. It's so hard to stick to those plans, but gets easier once you start seeing the results!

    ReplyDelete