Sunday, March 20, 2011

Breakfast Burritos

Wow! Yet another weekend has flown by. They always go fast, but as the weather gets nicer and the Spring fever kicks in, it seems like they go even faster than usual.

But, as you know, I always make time for a fun and delicious breakfast on Sunday morinngs.

I know, I know I made muffins yesterday that were supposed to be our breakfast, but I was craving scrambled eggs, so I decided the muffins would do better as snacks. We'll be taking muffins in our lunch all week 

Today I made breakfast burritos. I love these because they can be tailored to everyone's tastes - meat eaters and non-meat eaters alike will love 'em! It's also fun when you have guests for breakfast because it can become a "make your own" fun breakfast that everyone can be involved in. This morning it was just Derek and I ~ he got his bacon and eggs fix and I was able to enjoy the same breakfast using just a veggie scramble.

Breakfast Burritos
I made this recipe to make one breakfast burrito each for Derek and I. There are no fixed amounts for the veggies and toppings. If you have any leftover veggies you could always use them to top a salad or stirfry them and put them into a veggie wrap.

2 large soft tortillas (I used whole wheat, Derek had jalapeno cheddar)
3 large eggs
1/4 c almond milk (any unsweetened milk would do)
pinch salt and pepper
1 tsp olive oil
assorted veggies, finely diced (I used peppers, onion and mushroom)

Optional Burrito Toppings: salsa, shredded cheese, hot sauce, sour cream, crumbled bacon or sausage (for the meat eaters in your family)

Prepare your veggies.


Heat oil in a frying pan and add the veggies. Stirfry the veggies for 3 - 4 minutes, until softened.


Crack eggs into a medium-sized mixing bowl and add milk, salt & pepper. Whisk until well combined.

Add eggs to veggies and scramble them until the eggs are well cooked.



Heat your tortillas in the microwave. I heated 2 tortillas for 15 seconds.

Now here comes the fun part!! Everyone gets to fix their own burrito to their own tastes.

I used salsa. ...

..followed by the egg mixture.

Derek started with the egg mixture...

...followed by crumbled bacon and salsa.

Then all you've gotta do is wrap these babies up and enjoy!

I was heading to the gym and Derek had a meeting this morning, so that was the extent of our breakie, but I've been thinking that my sweet potato homefries would be an absolutely fabulous side! I'll have to remember that for next time :-)

We usually go camping and to the Nascar Races in June and in the past we have done this breakfast while there. We set up a big spread with a variety of different toppings ~ no two burritos were alike, but the end result was full bellies for everyone! They go quite well with Caesars and Baileys with coffee I must say ;-)

What would be the ultimate toppings for your breakfast burrito??

I hope you had a great weekend and that the temperatures are still warm in your neck of the woods.

Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment