Thursday, March 24, 2011

Spaghetti & Italian-Style Bean Balls

Last week I was checking out one my favourite blogs, and the first lines read like this:

"When I was knee high to a grasshopper I loved meatballs in my spaghetti.  I used to love how my mom would put a dish of powdered Parmesan cheese on the table right in front of me and as the sauce was still steaming I would dump hideous amounts onto it." <source>
This could have been written by me because that was me for many, many years. I love all things made with ground beef including barbecued hamburgers, meatloaf and yes MEATBALLS!! Just because I don't eat meat anymore doesn't mean I didn't love (some of) it. My mouth still waters at the smell of hamburgers on the grill or meatballs at a potluck.

When I found a recipe for Italian Bean Balls on Kris's site, I almost jumped up and did a happy dance right on my desk. My co-workers would have thought  think I was am nuts (in a good way of course). I've been dreaming about spaghetti and meatballs and all things Italian ever since and finally today seemed like the perfect opportunity to satisfy my craving.

Italian-Style Bean Balls
Recipe by Kris @ i heart wellness
I made a couple of very minor changes to suit what I had on hand, but otherwise it is very close to her original recipe.

1 19 oz can of navy beans, drained & rinsed
3 tbsp brown rice flour (or all-purpose flour would probably work)
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 freshly squeezed lemon
1/4 c water

Preheat oven to 375. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick spray.

Add all of your ingredients into a large mixing bowl.

Using a potato masher, mash all of the ingredients together. 

Roll the mixture into 6 large bean balls. Place onto baking sheet.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Do not flip.
They should be golden and crisp on the outside but still soft and moist in the middle.

While the bean balls are cooking, boil and cook your favourite pasta. Tonight I used whole wheat rotini. I have to tell you that my preferred pasta right now is brown rice pasta. It doesn't cost much more than whole wheat pasta and I find that whole wheat pasta is too chewy for my liking while brown rice pasta is just right. 

I topped my pasta with my homemade marinara sauce.  It was perfect.

Top with 2 bean balls, serve & enjoy.

You can serve your bean balls on the side.....

 ...or my preference was to smother the bean balls in the marinara sauce.

 "Molto delizioso!!"



This recipe is in honour of my inner "guidette" and to celebrate mourn the fact that tonight is the season finale of Jersey Shore :-)  Thank goodness True Blood Season 3 reruns start next week. I require at least one hour of guilty pleasure TV per week!
 
What do you prefer brown rice pasta v whole wheat pasta??
Do you brown bag it to work? What are your favourite types of lunches??

Have a wonderful evening!!

Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment