Saturday, March 19, 2011

Strawberry Blueberry Oat Muffins

Isn't funny how the weekends fly by so fast when the weekdays drag by so slowly?!? I can't believe the weekend is already halfway over ~ I was so busy cleaning up dog poop in my backyard (I can't even begin to describe the amount of doggie doo that has been uncovered  now that the snow has vanished) and cleaning off muddy dog paws, that this day just flew by! Oh, and I can't forget that I met with a trainer and got a weight program set up at the gym. I am so excited to see the results over the next few months!

I'm on my own tonight and I'm planning on an early morning trip to the gym, so I thought I would spend some time tonight making a delicious and healthy breakfast that both Derek & I can enjoy.

I bought a huge container of strawberries at the grocery store last weekend for the awesome price of $2.50. I couldn't pass them up! I've munched away on them this week, but I still had a bunch left and they were starting to look a little sad & wilted. I haven't had much bread in the past 3 weeks and it is something I've been craving since I started the cleanse. I did splurge and buy wheat-free, gluten-free brown rice tortillas, but I couldn't bring myself to pay between $6 & $7 for a loaf of bread. Now that I'm done the cleanse I wanted to find a delicious and healthy recipe to satisfy my craving and this recipe certainly fits the bill.

Strawberry Blueberry Oat Muffins
Adapted from Strawberry Oat Muffins by Healthy Food for Living

1 1/4 c whole wheat flour
3/4 c oats
1/4 c wheat germ
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 heaping tsp cinnamon
1/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c strawberries, pureed
1/2 c almond milk (any type of milk would work)
1/2 c maple syrup
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg (a chia or flax egg would probably work)
1/2 c strawberries, finely chopped
1/2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries

Heat oven to 350. Prepare a pan of 12 muffin cups.

Combine first 7 ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl.


Add the next 7 ingredients into a larger mixing bowl and combine.


Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until the dry ingredients are moistened.


Fold in the strawberries & blueberries.


Pour the muffin batter equally between the 12 muffin cups. Bake for 16 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean after being inserted into one of the muffins. Cool on a wire rack.

At this point, it might be hard not to try one, but trust me those blueberries are packing some serious heat and we don't want any burnt tongues now, do we??

Serve your muffins and enjoy. Tastes best (in my humble opinion) when smothered with delicious Earth Balance and served with a side of fresh fruit.


These muffins are delicious. They're not too sweet and having muffins full of fresh berries in mid-March is just completely awesome if you ask me!!

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend so far! Tomorrow I have absolutely NO plans after I hit the gym in the morning - that is so rare & so wonderful. I am looking forward to a great day!!

Do you have a favourite muffin that you just love to bake?
What is your definition of the perfect Sunday?

Andrea


3 comments:

  1. Nice muffins for sure.
    I sleep in a lot...lazy girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those muffins look amazing!
    My perfect Sunday is the one you described you are going to have. I love not having plans because I just love the feeling that I can do whatever I want, even if it means laying on the couch! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing this write-up and also the rest of the
    site is also very good.

    Here is my weblog: http://www.xxxsexymilfs.com/

    ReplyDelete