Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sweet Potato Homefries

Good Morning all! Did you remember to turn your clocks ahead last night?? Derek and I talked about it, but never did it. He was an hour late for an 8 a.m. meeting and I missed my step class.....oops!!

I still went to the gym and did my first ever skip fit. What a great cardiovascular workout. I loved it and will be trying to catch that class whenever I can. Did you know that a 155 lb woman can burn between 563 and 844 calories by skipping for one hour (that sold me on this class!!).

My absolutely most favourite meal of the week is Sunday breakfast. Sunday is the one day a week that I usually skip a green smoothie and go with something more traditional. Since we ended being home with nothing to do, we I (it would be my dream if Derek would actually cook with me in the kitchen, but so far my hints haven't been sinking in :-) decided to whip up a delicious breakfast.

Are you a homefry lover?? We are. I love going out for breakfast and ordering a big mound of greasy homefries that I can smother in ketchup and salt. But, since I am trying out some healthy alternatives and I have been totally digging sweet potatoes lately, I thought I'd switch it up and make some sweet potato homefries for a change.

I made them exactly as I would if I were whipping up homefries with regular potatoes and they turned out great!

Sweet Potato Homefries
3 medium sized sweet potatoes
1 sweet onion
1 1/2 tbsp Earth Balance (butter would work)
salt & pepper to taste

I love recipes with 4 ingredients!! 

Peel and dice the sweet potatoes and onion.

Steam your sweet potatoes for just a few minutes until they are fork tender. I have a microwave steamer that is so quick and convenient for a meal like this.

Meanwhile, melt the Earth Balance (or butter) in a medium sized frying pan on medium heat. Add the onions and a pinch of salt and cook for approximately 5 minutes.

Keep in mind that I love carmelized onions (today they got quite dark while I was getting everything else ready). You can adjust your cooking times to suit your preferences on how crispy you like your homefries.

Add the sweet potatoes and continue to cook over medium heat for another 10 minutes.


Add additional salt & pepper according to your taste preferences and serve immediately.

I could have eaten this whole bowl myself. They were sooo tasty!

These are a fantastic side to all of your favourite breakfasts and they are so easy to whip up.
  
 Derek's Plate (check out the dessert - at least I was able to sneak some fruit in there)

Andrea's Plate (I would love the same dessert, but I was strong today)

What great fuel to get us through our day. I was full of energy and pizzazz when I got to skip fit!

What is your favourite meal of the week.
What is your favourite breakfast foods.

Wishing you a wonderful Sunday afternoon.

Andrea

5 comments:

  1. ....what a delicious breakfast! I love sweet potatoes (much better than Easter C. Eggs)....great photos Andrea.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breakfast is by far my fav meal of the day! I love sweet potatoes fried. I think they taste SO much sweeter! I love that you made them in to home fries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm... can you just be my personal chef? ;) I would totally devour this meal! Sweet potatoes are the besttt - I have been obsessing over them lately - last night I was so excited to take my first bite that I shoved a huge piece into my mouth immediately after taking it out of the oven... today I literally have a 3rd degree burn... whooppss

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to be your personal chef --- haha ---it certainly would beat my day job. I love sweet potatoes too - we've been eating tons of them lately!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that breakfast just made me so hungry!! Now, I can not wait to wake up and make something yummy :)

    Thanks for always inspiring!

    http://ladyonaroof.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete