Sunday, March 27, 2011

Weekends are the Best.....& so is Veggie Pizza!!!

I love weekends for so many reasons.

Why you might ask?? Well, let me tell you :-)

1. Workouts can be done in the morning
I just love getting up and getting my groove on bright and early. Not only do I get my workout done and out of the way, so I can enjoy the rest of my day, but it leaves me with so much positive energy. I'm pumped up and mentally I feel really so good that I fit the workout in and that I'm one day closer to my goal of getting fit for the upcoming summer. This weekend I got in 2 awesome workouts. Yesterday I started week 2 of my running program with the goal of running a 5K this year and it was the easiest run I've had so far. Today, I did a kick-butt step class. It was tough, but I felt great afterwards.

2. Grocery Shopping!!
Unlike so many people out there, I love grocery shopping! I drop into the local grocery store at least 2 - 3 times every week. On Saturdays, I usually have the time to stroll up and down the aisles checking out the deals and conjuring up some fabulous meals for the upcoming week. I can't wait for the Spring because my favourite place to shop is the farmer's markets!

3. More time in the kitchen
I love cooking on the weekend because we can cook, eat and clean up and still have time to sit down and relax in the eveninigs. Lately I have been finding myself still at the sink washing dishes at 9 p.m. on weeknights ~ I hate when that happens! I also use the weekends to bake up sinful treats for Derek and our family and friends if we have somewhere to go or something to celebrate.

Let me in on our secret to a happy marriage : Sweet Treats = Happy Couple :-)

And speaking of treats, check out what I whipped up this weekend.




We celebrated Derek's mom's, grandma's and cousin's husband's birthdays today. Of course, I needed to bake. I also made some peanut butter brownies, but I never took any pictures <insert wrist slap> :-) I promise that I will be posting the brownie recipe in the very near future. They were soooooo good and I have so many variation ideas that I can't wait to try!!!

Derek was away overnight last night and after I was all finished baking, I was starving. So, I whipped myself up a quick and easy veggie pizza.

We had a store bought whole wheat pizza crust in the freezer, as well as some leftover pizza sauce, so I used them as my base.

Then I chopped up all of my favourite veggies. If you have never had broccoli on pizza, you should give it a whirl. It's fantastic!


And no pizza would be complete without green olives. I love olives on everything especially pizza and veggie subs.



And of course you can't forget your favourite cheese. This is the one dairy food that I still crave on a daily basis. I haven't found a vegan cheese that I like (although there aren't a lot of choices readily available here) and I just don't see myself giving up pizza.....ever.


Bake at 350 for approximately 25 - 30 minutes.

Remove from oven once the crust his golden brown and the cheese is all melty and bubbly. Let sit for a few minutes.


Cut into slices and enjoy.   Mmmmmm.   So Good.

It was the perfect dinner for l'il ol' me.

Next time I am going to try my making my own crust. I've never tried to make it before. I've seen a few recipes I would love to try and I've also seen pesto as the sauce on veggie pizza; with goat cheese. Can you say "Heaven on Earth"?? 

I try to limit myself to pizza only once a week, especially while on my journey to a hot and rockin' bod, but I see that pesto veggie pizza just might be in our futures.

Until then, have a wonderful Sunday evening!! 

Andrea

3 comments:

  1. Looks YUMMY!!!! Talk soon.....:) Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so yummy. We usually have a pizza night on weekends too. My favorite night! :)

    ReplyDelete