Friday, April 1, 2011

Honey Tofu Stirfry

Woohoo ~ we've made it through yet another long week and now the weekend is upon us :-)!  After work, I headed straight to the gym before going home. I did a 30 minute run, did some quick weight training, stopped by to say howdy to my hubby who's moonlighting as a bartender tonight and then headed home! No wonder I'm feeling so exhausted!

Once I got home, I baked up some treats to take with us on a roadtrip tomorrow. We're heading out of town for the day to a Toronto Blue Jays game. We're going with our friends and their 3 kids, so I wanted to bring some yummy treats for us to munch on while we were on the road. Unfortunately, there will be no treat recipes posted today, but I will definitely be doing some sharing over the weekend :-)

Tonight, I'm sharing a really awesome stirfry recipe that I cooked up for dinner in an effort to use all of the veggies that were in a "use it or lose it" state in our fridge.  I saw this recipe on Kelly's blog last week and it inspired me to put my own twist on her easy and delicious stirfry. At first I was planning to just do a veggie stirfry, but then some teriyaki marinated tofu caught my eye at the grocery store and I decided to give it a try.


I'm not a huge fan of the texture of tofu normally, but this tofu turned out great and I loved it with the stirfry!

Honey Tofu Stirfry
Inspired by Honey Chicken Stirfry recipe by Kelly

This stirfry recipe is so easy! In the past, I've tried to make a great stirfry, but I could never put together a really good sauce. This was much easier than any of my attempts and the flavour was fantastic.

2 tbsp oil (I used avocado & garlic oil, but your fave will be fine)
1 clove of garlic, minced
4 - 5 c of your favourite veggies, chopped
pinch sea salt
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp water
2 slices of teriyaki marinated tofu

Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large wok. Add garlic. Cook for a minute or two and then add all of your veggies. Stirfry the veggies for 5 minutes.



Add the honey and soy sauce.




Cook for an additional 2 -3 minutes.

Combine the water and cornstarch and add to stirfry. Cook for one more minute to allow the sauce to thicken. Once the sauce is to your desired thickness, remove from heat.

While the veggies are cooking, prepare your tofu. I cut the slices into small chunks. In a small frying pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil and add your tofu. Pan fry the tofu for approximately 5 minutes ~ until it's starting to brown on the outside. Be careful! This spattered all over the place!



Serve the stirfry over cooked brown rice and then top with the tofu.


Yum, yum, yum! What a delicious dinner!

I hope you enjoy your evening. I was planning to hit the hay early because we're going to be up and on the road super early tomorrow, however I hear David Letterman on the TV, so I think "early" has long since passed!

Do you like marinated tofu? Have you marinated your own before?

Andrea

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the mention! It looks so good with tofu! I have never been a huge fan, but I think I may have to try the marinated kind. :-)

    ReplyDelete