Thursday, April 28, 2011

Portobella Sandwich with Vegan Caesar Salad

Guess what? It's raining. Still.

I think I'm in a funk.

I wish I was here...
(Mexico - November 2010)

or with my mom & dad here...
(On a cruise ship in Miami - Today)

Now what can I do to feel better? Any suggestions?!?!  Um, book a trip to Mexico maybe!? How 'bout a cruise ~ I WISH!! We're looking into going to Las Vegas for our friends' wedding in October. I'm thinking a deposit might be made in the very near future :-)

Unfortunately there are no trips to the sunny south in my immediate future, so today I'm going to have to soothe my mood through a light and healthy Spring-like dinner. I made something quick, easy and delicious that put me in the mood for barbecues and backyard shenanigans.

For dinner I made a broiled portobella sandwich with a vegan caesar salad on the side.

For the sandwich, I took a portobella mushroom cap and marinated it for 30 minutes in a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, salt and pepper.


Then I broiled it in the oven for 5 - 7 minutes per side. Do you love portobellas?? I do, especially in the summer when we spark up the BBQ and we grill them like a burger --- delish!

I then put the mushroom onto a piece of whole grain bread that was smothered with basil pesto (yet another fave of mine!). I topped my sandwich off with a slice of tomato and baby spinach leaves and we were good to go! Easy and delicious ~ which seems to be my motto these days!


For the caesar salad, I used a recipe that was recently posted by Kris on her blog. She and I both love avocados and we like to use them in all sorts of dishes. The avocado makes a crazy creamy base for this amazing dressing.

Vegan Avocado Caesar Dressing
Recipe by Kris at i heart wellness

Who said vegetarians and vegans can't enjoy Caesar salad. I'm about to show you that you can!! This is yet another super duper amazing salad dressing you just have to try. I only made half of this recipe because I was dining alone this evening and I think it needs to be used up right away because of the avocado.

1 avocado
1 tsp dijon mustard
3 tsp nutritional yeast (plus a little extra for sprinkling on top of your salad)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp water
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
2 tsp garlic powder
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste

Place all ingredients into your Magic Bullet or food processor and process until creamy and smooth. 


A full batch would be too much to do at once in your Magic Bullet.
A food processor would probably work best.


This is so creamy and flavourful! It's absolutely heavenly.

Pour onto your greens and toss well. I used a blend of baby arugula, spinach, red and white chard. It was the perfect blend of greens to go with this dressing. I contemplated making up some croutons, but I'm trying to cut back on the amount of carbs I eat in a day, so I decided to go without. These greens were so good on their own, they really didn't need any additions!

So there you have it! Another quick and satisfying dinner idea that's perfect for whipping up during a weeknight when you don't feel like spending hours in the kitchen. The portobella sandwich and light refreshing salad makes me believe that Spring (& the sunshine) really are on their way.


We'll be sitting on our deck eating barbecue and lots of delicious salads in the very near future....right?!

What's your must-have burger topping?
What's your weather like today?

I hope you have a wonderful evening! Stay out of that rain and stay dry!

Andrea

5 comments:

  1. Hi andrea! You won my giveaway of Amy Green's cookbook! Email your address to me at cathedralanatomy at gmail dot com. Cograts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was in Mexico with you girl!! It is sunny here in Vancouver, but it isn't so warm...

    Thanks for the shout out! I posted it to the I Heart Wellness page on Facebook to display it :) The whole dinner looks beautiful!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww come to Miami to join me in some sunbathing weather :D Kris makes the best recipes, this look delish :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that meal looks to die for!!
    When I get in a "funk," I go for lots of long walks. Hugs and good luck :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I would love to come Miami, I think I'm going to have to stick to long walks for now! Today the sun is shining so I've already been out with the dogs and I am feeling much better!

    ReplyDelete