Sunday, June 26, 2011

Baked Kale Chips

Happy Sunday! It's looking like an absolutely gorgeous day in Southwestern Ontario and I'm so happy that I have absolutely no commitents today. For now, it's just Dora & I chillin' at home and then Derek should be back for a barbecue later this afternoon.


Isn't she a"DORA"able? She's already getting in the spirit of Canada Day!!

The only problem I have with days like today is that I want to graze and munch constantly. I typically don't keep chips and sweets in the house, but my darling hubby has a very bad habit of bringing unhealthy snacks into the homestead and then he leaves them there, untouched, to taunt and tease me all day long.

Instead of sitting and obsessing all day about the chips in the pantry that are calling my name, I have been trying to load my house full of healthy and satisfying snacks.

Remember that kale I was talking about last week? Well, I had great intentions to make a salad with it, but that just never happened, so of course my next choice was to whip up a batch of kale chips. Have you ever had kale chips before? Have you ever had kale before for that matter!? 

Dark leafy greens are SOOO good for our bods!

I like to add kale in my diet once in a while when I get all 'spinached out'. I like variety and eating the same veggies day in and day out just doesn't work for me. Kale is definitely one of those 'super foods' that we all should add to our diets. Kale is a chart topper when it comes to the most nutritious vegetables you can eat. It is very high in antioxidants and is loaded with calcium, B vitamins, fiber and anti-cancer phytochemicals. Now who doesn't want all that in their diet?! 

It's especially easy to add this to your diet when you can transform this leafy green into tasty chips. I was skeptical the first time that I made kale chips, but now I can eat a whole batch in one sitting. They are super tasty and definitely satisfy my craving for a salty snack.

Baked Kale Chips

These chips are super easy to make and they are full of healthy goodness. They will amaze even your biggest skeptics because they are as delish as chips!!

1 bunch of kale
1 - 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
sea salt to taste

Preheat your oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.

Remove the kale leaves from the stems (the stems are edible, but I find them too bitter) and cut the leaves into bite-size pieces.

Place kale leaves into a large mixing bowl.


Drizzle with olive oil followed by a sprinkling of sea salt.

Lay the leaves out onto your cookie sheet.


Bake for 10 - 15 minutes until they are crisp and starting to brown around the edges. I give mine a stir about 5 minutes into the baking time.


Note: Keep an eye on your chips. They can go from browning to burnt really quickly and burnt kale chips are not good!!

Serve your kale chips as a side to your favourite dinner (grilled cheese for me please :-) or on their own as a tasty snack.


Enjoy!!!

Now how easy is that?! I think you should run out to the local grocery store or farmer's market right now and pick yourself up a bunch of kale. These chips would make a great afternoon snack for you & your family ;-) and they won't go to your waistline like a normal bag of chips will! We are coming up to bathing suit season after all!

Have you ever eaten kale before? If you have a fave recipe, link me up to it! I feel compelled to add more of this nutritious veggie to my diet!!

What are you up to on this gorgeous sunny day?

Enjoy the rest of your weekend,

Andrea

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE kale chips :-) So addictive! Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kale is something I have been interested in trying..but never have! They do like mighty tasty though!
    Please notice that I've moved to.. http://www.beyond-bananas.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love kale chips! You can put anything on them before you make it as long (as you don't get them too moist to crisp up). I also use kale in my smoothies and in salad after briefly marinating in some sort of lemon/vinegar/olive oil mix to soften the leaves a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm I love kale chips! Your pictures make me want to buy some more really badly--I think a bunch (or two) will make it into my bag at the Farmer's Market again next weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i freaking love kale, but i have still yet to try kale chips. i need to do this stat because it looks delish and super easy.

    http://laurenlanzaosias.blogspot.com
    giveaway time with shabby apple...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok girls - you all need to go to the farmer's market and get yourselves some kale and whip up these chips ~ they'll be a great side for your Canada Day/4th of July barbecues!!

    ReplyDelete