Monday, June 13, 2011

Barbecue Pizza on a Whole Wheat Tortilla

Why do Mondays always come so fast? I wish we could have a giant pause button at our disposal to stop time on Sunday afternoons.


I could bask in a lazy Sunday afternoon for eternity. But alas, this is just my little pipe dream and Mondays are always comin' around spoiling our weekend fun.

When I got home from work today, I was starving and I wanted to have something ready and on my plate without much effort. Can you tell I'm feeling a wee bit lazy ;-) I was on my own for dinner tonight, so I just opened up the fridge and grabbed everything that called to me, including some Amazing Dad's Barbecue Sauce that keeps calling my name everytime I get a hunger on!

Note the little spout.
Perfect for squeezing a bit out onto your finger when you need to get your barbecue sauce fix ;-)

Barbecue Pizza on a Whole Wheat Tortilla
Makes 1 pizza

1 large tortilla (I used whole wheat - you can use your fave)
2 - 3 tbsp of your favourite barbecue sauce
approx 1 c. your fave veggies, chopped (I used tomatoes, mushrooms, broccoli, onion, yellow pepper)
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 tsp Cajun spice mix
1/2 c. shredded cheese

Preheat your oven to broil. Get out your favourite round pizza pan.

Heat up a small skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick spray. Add your chopped veggies, garlic and spice mix. I did not add the tomatoes until assembling my pizza because I like my tomatoes to be firm and just warmed. You want to cook your veggies until softened ~ approximately 5 minutes.


Meanwhile, place your tortilla onto the pizza pan and put into the oven for just a minute or two. I brown the bottom side of my tortilla, so that it is crispy and firm. There's nothing worse than a floppy tortilla as the base of your pizza. Can you say messy?! I do not need any help in getting barbecue stains on my clothing thank you very  much :-)

Remember that your oven is on broil, so browning the tortilla will not take long. Don't let it burn!


Once one side of the tortilla is golden brown, remove it from the oven and flip it over. Spread the barbecue sauce all over the tortilla followed by the veggies and of course your cheese.



Return to the oven until the cheese is melted and the edges of the tortilla are starting to brown. Again, keep a close eye on this because it does not take long.

Remove your pizza from the oven and let it sit for a couple of minutes.


Cut into wedges, serve and enjoy!


This is such a quick, easy and tasty dinner. I love this on nights when I'm home alone and feeling lazy because it literally comes together within 10 minutes flat and it satisfies my constant pizza craving!

Again, this is one of those recipes that can be customized in so many ways to suit your tastes. You could easily swap pizza sauce for the barbecue sauce and add some shredded chicken or pepperoni if you're a meat-eater. I'm thinking that next time I'm going to try pesto as the sauce with some fresh tomatoes and goat cheese -- yummm....if I wasn't feeling so lazy, I'd run to the store and pick up my supplies right now!

What is your go-to meal when you want something quick & easy?

Have a wonderful Monday night!

Andrea

5 comments:

  1. That looks pretty awesome. Pizza + BBQ = Good

    I usually go for my Chinese Take-In when rushed

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm.....I just may have to try this! Thanks! I LOVE your blog and all your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Jessica! I'm glad you enjoy the blog and I hope you love these pizzas - they are really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love BBQ pizza! [Maybe because I love BBQ sauce...on anything...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. oohhh my this looks so good! I have actually never tried a BBQ pizza but i'm sure it rocks!

    ReplyDelete