Sunday, June 19, 2011

Tomato Pesto Sandwich

Happy Sunday and Happy Father's Day to all those dear daddies out there! Sadly, I can't be with my dad today, but I was able to spend some quality time with him over Memorial Day and hopefully we'll get down for another visit later this summer. 

Can you believe yet another weekend is on its way out? I swear the weekends get shorter in the summer :-) I've had a pretty great weekend considering I've been on my own since Friday. Yesterday was super busy with an early morning spin class, a vet appointment and a 1st birthday party and today was a lazy day; which was just what I needed.

I have so many things that I want/need to do, but I've been pooped and I decided that this afternoon was going to be a put my feet up and relax kinda day. I find it hard to do that because even though I'll have the intention to relax and enjoy the day, I often feel guilt about nothing being accomplished on that never-ending list of "to-dos". Do you ever have that problem?

Well today I managed to push my guilt aside and I pretty much planted my butt on the couch all afternoon, so that I could get in a whole bunch of Dexter (season 1) episodes in. The first couple of episodes didn't thrill me, but I'm on about episode 8 and I'm  hooked! I am so looking forward to renting the next season and then the next after that!!

To go along with my lazy day theme, I kept my meals quick and simple, but I certainly didn't sacrifice deliciousness!! Check out my tomato pesto sammie.

Tomato Pesto Sandwich
Makes 1 sandwich

This sandwich is really delicious and I can't wait until I have my own fresh tomatoes to use with it! I also used Daiya cheese, which is a wheat-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free vegan cheese substitute. It my first time using it and I was really happy with it. It gets all gooey and melty like cheese and it tastes great!! This sandwich will satisfy vegetarians and meat lovers alike.

1 whole wheat thin bun
3 slices of tomato
2 tbsp your fave pesto (I used a traditional basil pesto)
3 - 4 tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese (or your fave cheese substitute - I used Daiya mozza shreds)
4 - 6 baby spinach leaves

Turn your oven on to broil.

On a baking sheet, lay out your bun. On one side, spread the pesto and on the other place your tomatoes.

I love these buns! They have just the right amount of bread, so you still get a yummy sandwich, but the bread doesn't end up over-powering your sandwich filling!


Sprinkle cheese on each side.



Throw the sandwich under the broiler until it's all ooey gooey ;-)


Remove from the oven, top the tomatoes with the baby spinach leaves and top with the pesto side of the sandwich.



Yum! A perfect lunch for a summer day.

Do you have a hard time setting aside all the things you want to do, so you can take a day for yourself??

What's your favourite kind of pesto? I'm pretty traditional :-)

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday evening,

Andrea

1 comment:

  1. That sandwich encompasses all things I love in a sandwich! I discovered Daiya almost a year ago and I've been loving it ever since. It's my vegan dream-come-true.
    I'm glad you got to kick up your heels today and relax. I don't ever feel guilt when I'm relaxing, but my mom and sister do.
    I think I'm going to have to check Dexter out and see what it's all about. I've never even heard of it!

    ReplyDelete