Thursday, June 9, 2011

Veg-tastic White Bean Salad

I am constantly craving cool, fresh fruit and veggies during the hot, humid months. This year has been no exception especially during the heat wave we've been experiencing this week. Earlier in the week I made a salad filled with chickpeas and fresh veggies and today I've whipped up a white bean salad with lots of veggies for my lunch. I love to add beans or lentils to my salads to up the protein factor, so that I stay full and satisfied all afternoon. There's nothing worse than coming home from work on an empty belly ~ that's a recipe for disaster because I immediately start searching for something to munch on, which often is some sort of unhealthy snack food like Derek's half eaten bag of chips! The protein also gives me a much needed boost of energy, so that I can avoid that 3 p.m. lull.

Tina posted a white bean salad on her blog recently and I knew I was going to have to make my own similar version. This salad is super easy to make and can very easily be customized to your tastes and to the ingredients you have on hand. I  like to make this at the end of the week when I need to use up produce that is about to go bad ~ I hate throwing good food out!

Veg-tastic White Bean Salad
Serves 2

Feel free to add any veggies, herbs and spices that you like to this salad - it can be easily customized to suit your tastes! A great salad to make a day or so ahead and take to work for lunch. It's filling, delicious and full of lots of healthy goodness.

1 19oz can of white beans
1 heaping c of your fave veggies, diced (I used asparagus, yellow beans, yellow pepper & zucchini)
1.5 tbsp of your fave fresh herbs (I used fresh parsley, rosemary and chives from my herb garden - dried would also work but don't use as much)
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

Drain and rinse your beans and place them in a medium-sized mixing bowl.


Add your chopped veggies, fresh herbs, olive oil and vinegar. Mix well.


Check out those gorgeous herbs ~ grown with love by moi :-)

YUMMY!

Add salt and pepper to suit your tastes.

Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.

Enjoy!

Now how easy is that? This salad can be made in just a few short minutes and it's fabulously delicious to boot!

What type of beans to you prefer to add to your salads?
Do you have a favourite summertime salad?

Have a happy Friday ~ the weekend is almost upon us!

Andrea

6 comments:

  1. I always forget about white beans! must use them more =)

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delicious looking salad Andrea. I need to start making all these yummy bean salds I am seeing everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog! That salad looks delicious and fresh herbs always make things taste even better :) My favorite beans are white beans and garbanzo/chickpeas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so refreshing! I love to add white beans and garbanzo beans to salads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh yum! That looks perfect to bring along to work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally love these kinds of meals!!! Miriam@The Pioneer Cookbook"

    ReplyDelete