Tuesday, June 7, 2011

What I Ate Wednesday & What My Poochies Ate Too!

Happy Hump Day - so we meet here yet again!






It's been hot, sunny and absolutely beautiful this week, so I've been enjoying light, delicious summery meals. There's nothing better and I have to say it's about darn time :-). I am loving barbecue season after the long, cold winter we've had!

I know you're dying to get outside to soak up some of that wonderful Vitamin D, so I'll be quick and get right to it.

I've been starting most days off with one of my iced coffee creations. I was going to limit myself to weekends only, but they're so darn good I just can't resist making them whenever I have time!


For breakie, I've been loving Greek Yogourt with Honey, mixed with some of biggest sweetest blackberries ever and some Summer Berry Kashi Granola. This is so filling and satisfying after an early morning workout and I have to say the creamy yogourt mixed with honey is awesome!


For lunches, I've been bringing a Chickpea and Summer Veggie Salad to work with me. The recipe came from a new cookbook that I won in a giveaway hosted by Lauren at the spiced plate ~ thanks Lauren, you're the best girl!  It's Amy Green's Simply Sugar & Gluten Free. I have read this cookbook from cover to cover (I'm weird like that) and I have a ton of recipes bookmarked to try out. This was the first one I made and it certainly did not disappoint. I served my salad on a bed of baby spinach. Healthy and delish! I promise I'll give a proper review of this book once I've had a chance to really try it out :-)



For dinner, we were all about the grill. Grilled corn on the cob (it wasn't fresh, so it was ok but we are definitely stoked for fresh corn later this summer), a grilled balsamic mushroom with swiss and a warm Asparagus and Potato Salad, by Angela. I followed her recipe exactly except that I grilled my taters and asparagus spears in a wok on the barbie instead of roasting in the oven. Mouthwatering. Delicious. So glad there's leftovers.


And because the weather has been so darn hot, I wanted to share a nice cool treat that I give to my dogs to help them cool down. Being big, black and furry doesn't work out so well during the hot summer months. Meet the frozen stuffed Kong. Looks gross to us, but it is absolutely delectable to our canine friends. I stuff the Kongs with all sorts of goodies and today I used mashed sweet potato mixed with an organic chicken and vegetable baby food. I stuffed the Kong, froze it overnight and voila! Cheap, cool and keeps the dogs busy for over an hour!


So what if there's dog slobber all over my floor - I'm just happy they have something that
makes them happy and helps to cool them down in this HOT, HUMID weather!


So there you have it. As you can see I'm back on track and rockin' some healthy eats. I'm determined to lose the excess weight I've gained over the winter. One significant change you might notice is that there are no snacks; especially late night snacks! And so far, I don't miss them one bit!

If you're looking for some more inspiration, check out Jenn's site at peas & crayons.

I know I  have lots of pet lovers that follow me. What's your favourite summertime treat to feed your furry friends? 

Favourite meal of the day? 

On a side note, my bloggie friend, Cait @ beyond bananas, is hosting a Baking for Boobies bake sale over at her site. All funds raised will go to the Susan G. Komen Foundation to help fund community programs to support those who are suffering from breast cancer and to help find a cure.The bake sale ends tomorrow at 11:59 p.m., so pop over and check out all the baked goodies and other items and bid!! A little can go a long way ~ we can all make a difference!
Happy Wednesday!!

Andrea

9 comments:

  1. Aww, thanks SO much for the shout out, girly!!

    All your eats look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum love all our eats. I'm currently hooked on the Kashi Berry too, it's amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you eat! If we ever meet up in person the food we'll share is going to be out of this world! :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh I'm loving the yogurt mess idea.
    What is the coffee creation you speak of? Sounds good!!
    interesting idea for the dog; I never knew you could do that.
    my favorite meal is definitely breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha I love the frozen kong trick! =) totally WIAW worthy!

    and your chickpea salad needs to be on my plate now too! yummmm!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this all looks so good! Really like your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never thought to put baby food in the kong before! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Breakfast is my favorite meal, unless I'm having pizza for dinner, of course. :) Thanks for reminding me of that bake sale.

    ReplyDelete