Thursday, July 21, 2011

Greek Style Bruschetta Sammies

Can you believe that we are still in the middle of this loooooonnnnggg heat wave? Right now as I type this our temperature is 35C, feels like 46C. For you Americans that's 97F, feels like 107F. The radio DJs this morning said that we are hotter than Havana, Cuba, Jamaica or Kandahar. What the heck?! That is way too hot for this Canadian gal! I don't mind the heat, but I really wish the humidity would take a hike!

Tonight I came straight home from work to let the dogs out. They're nice and cool in their crates while we're away, but I want to make sure that they're getting lots and lots of water to avoid any issues with dehydration. This weather can be deadly for pets, so please make sure that they have lots of cold fresh water and somewhere they can go that is out of the sun!

I had plans to hit the gym ~ because I am just dying to sweat a little more ~ so I whipped up my favourite pre-workout snack: a brown rice cake smeared with my new love, sunflower seed butter. I could  have eaten this stuff with a spoon. Hands down this is my fave nut butter of all time.


After the gym I had a repeat dinner from my WIAW post. It was something I made on the fly when I was feeling extrememly lazy and it turned out to be delicious, so I  knew I had to share. I prepped the veggies before I left for the gym and then I put it all together and had a delicious dinner within about 15 minutes after getting home.

Greek Style Bruschetta Sammies
Makes 2 open-faced toasts (which for me feeds 1 ;-)

2 pieces of bread (I used Weight Watcher bread to keep my portions small)
1 tsp Earth Balance or butter
1 - 1 1/4 c chopped veggies (I used grape tomatoes, sweet onion, zucchini & black olives - marinated artichokes would be an amazing addition too!)
1 clove of garlic minced
1/3 c shredded cheese (I used a mix of feta & mozza)
1 small fresh basil leaf, minced

Turn your oven to broil.

Heat a small frying pan on medium heat. Add the Earth Balance.

Once melted, add your veggies and garlic. Stirfry until the onions and the zucchini begin to soften.


While the veggies are cooking, toast your bread either in the toaster or by putting it under the broiler for just a few short minutes.

Place toast in a shallow oven safe dish. Top with the veggie mixture followed by the cheese. Sprinkle the basil on top.

I like to load my toasts up!!
Fresh basil straight from my herb garden --- so fresh and delicious!

Place the toasts under the broiler for 4 - 5 minutes. I like the cheese to be melty and for me it's done when the tops start to turn a gorgeous golden brown :-)


Remove from the oven and let sit for 2 or 3 minutes. Watch those tomatoes they are tongue burnin' hot when they first come out of the oven.

Serve & enjoy!

I like to have this as a lonely girl dinner when Derek's left me to my own devices. This could easily be turned into a fun appetizer by topping slices of a baguette instead of the toasts.

What's your favourite lonely girl/boy meal?

Have a great night. Stay cool...and if you live somewhere cool, please send a little my way!!

Andrea

8 comments:

  1. Oh yum!! I love bruschetta and this looks amazing!
    My favourite lonely girl meal is...oatmeal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm! Love the idea of just using sliced bread, I feel like I never have "fancy" enough bread for bruschetta--but that's apparently just goofy. This looks delish! And my favorite "lonely" meal is pancakes for one :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make little pizzas on english muffins or tortillas in the microwave... not very original, but you have bread, cheese, tomato, veggies... sounds like a meal to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you have a lonely girl meal. I posted a while back on my (as I call themn) single lady eats that I have when the hubster is gone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like such a treat of a meal! And yea, it's dang hot here too!! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never tried to make bruschetta before, it look so yummy! My lonely girl meal is a ham and cheese sandwich :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a big ol' salad kind of gal on nights I eat alone. I love just chopping and eating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, girl you had me at the sunflower seed butter....then I scrolled down and saw millions of black olives and NOW i am drooling more :) I love both of these foods :)

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete