Monday, February 20, 2012

Preppin' for Pancake Day

Good Morning! When you read this, I just might still be fast asleep in my cozy l'il bed because it's Family Day here and that means LONG WEEKEND!!!

Derek doesn't have to work until 5 p.m. today, so we're planning a lazy leisurely day. We rarely get to have days like this together, so I always make the effort to make a great big breakfast that we can enjoy together.

In the spirit of Pancake Day (or Shrove Tuesday as some of you may know it as), I'm thinking a little pancake action might be in order. Derek likes a traditional pancake, but I like to mix it up with all sorts of different flapjack variations.

Do you celebrate with pancakes on Shrove Tuesday?

Here are some of my favourite pancake recipes:








I just made these and they are INCREDIBLE!!! I didn't have berries, so I topped mine with maple syrup and coconut. TO. DIE. FOR.

her pics are to die for too, so check them out - they definitely put mine to shame ;)




If you're like my husband, and prefer what I would consider to be a 'traditional' pancake, here is a tried and true recipe that I've been using for years. I used to be a pancake mix or Bisquick kinda gal, but I much prefer a recipe from scratch now and this recipe won't disappoint. It makes a lot of pancakes and always results in a lot of  full and happy peeps :) ...and if you have leftovers, pop them in the toaster the next morning for a repeat breakie!

Best Ever Traditional Pancakes
Serves

3 c all-purpose flour
7 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp white sugar
1.5 tsp sea salt
2 beaten eggs
2.5 c milk (I use 1% dairy milk or almond milk)
6 tbsp melted Earth Balance (or organic salted butter)

Pre-heat frying pan or griddle to medium high.

Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, milk and melted butter. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until smooth.

Brush your frying pan with butter (you can use non-stick spray, but the butter is much better!) and pour batter out in 4 - 5 " pancakes. Flip once pancakes are bubbly and starting to look dry along the edges.

Serve right away :) Tastes amazing with a little butter and maple syrup.

*Don't forget your maple syrup! We're lucky to live very close to some maple syrup farms that open their doors to the public in March and each year we're able to replenish our syrup supply. Doesn't everyone keep a 2 litre jug of maple syrup in the fridge???


What's your favourite pancake topping?

Do you have any Pancake Tuesday traditions?

Have a great day!

Andrea
xo

PS - don't forget to enter my Pure Bar giveaway!!!

3 comments:

  1. Yum-- love all these pancake variations!! Those green ones are calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun pancakes! We are HUGE pancake fans here, they are so easy to make and always so yummy! I like your style :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love plain pancakes. Just a little maple syrup and I'm good! They are so delish!

    ReplyDelete