Monday, February 27, 2012

Roasted Sweet Potato & Kale Soup + Winner!!!

Hi! Welcome to the start of a new week! Did you have a good weekend?

We had to attend a funeral on Saturday. A friend lost his long-fought battle with cancer, so it was a sad day saying goodbye and supporting our friends.

I went to a Total Body Conditioning class at the gym yesterday morning and then I was pretty much down for the count for the rest of the day. We just needed some quiet time.

Luckily, I did manage to find time to put together my soup recipe that everyone's been asking for since I posted about it last Wednesday. Sometimes I forget how therapeutic blogging can be ---- it makes me so happy to be able to share my recipes and love for food with you all <3

This is a creamy comforting soup for the soul. I had it at a restaurant one day for lunch and I knew instantly that I needed to recreate it. I had some serious success with this one if I do say so myself.

Roasted Sweet Potato w/ Kale Soup
Serves 3

3 large sweet potatoes, peeled & diced
2 tsp coconut oil, melted
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 - 3/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
3 c vegetable broth
2 c coconut milk
3 c chopped kale (do not use stems)

Pre-heat the oven to 425.

In a large bowl, combine the diced sweet potatoes, coconut oil, sea salt,  chili powder and cumin. Spread the seasoned potatoes on a baking sheet in a single layer.

Roast the potatoes (now here is where I encounter a tiny problem as I forgot to write down the roasting time ~ woops!). I believe it will take 25 - 35 minutes to roast. You want the potatoes to be cooked through and starting to brown - see my pic below for reference. Make sure you flip the potatoes after approximately 15 minutes of roasting.

Once the potatoes are roasted, add them together with the vegetable broth into your blender. Of course, you can make the soup as creamy or as chunky as you like. Pour the sweet potato mixture into a large saucepan and start to heat it over medium-high heat. Whisk in the coconut milk and the kale.

Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.

Taste and adjust your seasonings to your taste. I added a pinch of sea salt, chili powder and a pinch of black pepper to my bowl.


This is what the taters should look like when they're roasted to perfection.


I just recently found this coconut milk at our local Bulk Store.
60 calories in a cup.
LOVE <3






Top with a pinch of unsweetened shredded coconut and serve while piping hot!

I have one word.

YUM :)


....and now for what you've been waiting for all week...

the winner of my Pure Bar Giveaway is.....


MEREDITH FROM DARE YOU TO!!!

Meredith said....
Ooh definitely Apple Cinnamon and Chocolate Brownie. I LOVE the photo you took--shows how REAL FOODS are the ingredients, just like the website shows.

Yahoo my sweet!!! I will send you an email later today to get your mailing details.

Now have a fabulous day everyone.

Let's start this week on the right foot!

Andrea

4 comments:

  1. Yum-- love the sound of this soup! Kale and coconut is such a delicious combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, this looks AMAZING, I'm going to try it as soon as I can get Ron out for groceries.
    Have a great day, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to see this recipe, it sounds SO good, and crazily healthy, too!

    ReplyDelete