Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Lemon Artichoke Pasta

...I am a parmesan cheese addict. There, I said it. When I was a kid, I would boil up some pasta, slather it in butter and and then cover the whole thing in a thick layer of parmesan cheese. In my neck of the woods, that was known as "ghetti". I did not like pasta with sauce, I did not want pasta with sauce. Just give me some ghetti and I was good to go.

Now that some 20 years have passed, I have matured into a sauce-loving gal, however I still love to coat my pasta in lots and lots of parm. Sometimes, if I have parmesan in the fridge, I'll make a big ol' bowl of pasta, just so I have an excuse to eat the parm...I might even sneak a heaping spoonful of parmesan when I'm home alone from time to time! I know, I know....I have issues ;)

When I started my meal planning, I wanted to try using up some non-perishables that had been lurking around in my pantry for way too long. I found half a bag of brown rice fettucine and a can of marinated artichoke hearts and this is how the idea for this pasta was born....of course, I also knew I had a brand new container of parmesan in the fridge, so I think this was the very first 'planned' meal that I made.

Lemon Artichoke Pasta
Serves 2

6 - 8 oz your fave pasta (I used brown rice fettucine)
2 + 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3/4 c grape tomatoes, halved
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c sliced black olives
1/3 c sweet onion, diced
14 oz can artichoke hearts, quartered - drained
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 - 1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
2 large basil leaves, thinly sliced
parmesan cheese

Cook your pasta according to the package directions.

While the pasta is cooking, heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add your garlic and onion and cook for approximately 5 minutes until the onion is softened.

Add the artichokes, tomatoes and olives and cook for another 3 - 4 minutes. Add your cookied pasta and stir in your basil.

Drizzle the remaining tbsp of olive oil and the lemon juice over the prepared pasta dish.

Garnish with some additional slivered basil and some parmesan cheese.





The lemon and olive oil give this pasta a fresh, light taste. Lemon is one of those fresh tasting flavours that I associate with Spring. Adding a little, or in my case, alot of parmesan and fresh basil tops this meal off and you have absolute perfection!



What flavours do you associate with Spring?

Is there a food from your childhood that you still love as much now as when you were a kid?

Have a fab day!

Andrea
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Haha...ghetti sounds pretty good! But this pasta looks even better :-)

    ReplyDelete