Monday, July 23, 2012

How Does your Garden Grow

Hiya! Happy Monday! How was your weekend? Ours was fabulous ---- we spent the entire day on Saturday outside enjoying the weather. First at a 25th wedding anniversary celebration and then at a local fair watching one of our favourite local bands. On Sunday, Derek had to spend the day at Baseball Day because he's the president of our local association, so I spent some time working, napping and checking out the progress in our veggie garden.

Derek's uncle lives on a farm just around the corner of us. A large spot at the edge of the field was left for a garden.  Surrounding 3 sides of the garden is corn. You drive up a really long lane.....


....and then this is what you see everywhere around you while you're in the garden.


Um....can you say creepy scene from Children of the Corn??? I saw that movie when I was really, really young and it has haunted me ever since. Growing up, we used to live a block (a country block that is) away from my grandparents. We would bike up to visit them all the time in the summer and I swear most years corn was planted in every field between our house and theirs. I would pedal my little legs as fast as I could go and wouldn't dare look left or right as I went because I was scared to death that I would see some crazy-ass killer children coming after me to recruit me into their cult!!!  Now, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't pass for under 18, so I'd be in real trouble....

Isn't it funny what memories stick out from our childhood?

Two of Derek's uncles use half the garden and I got the other half.

The uncles' half....

 I swear that there is produce in there --- somewhere :-)

...and my half.
 I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm kinda proud of my half!

I was really, really late getting all my produce into the ground. I only planted it 3 weeks ago, but we've had the most perfect weather and everything just keeps growing and growing. I even got my first cherry tomato on the weekend!

In my half of the garden, I planted:

Cherry Tomatoes
Tomatoes (2 varieties)
Parsley
Spinach
Leaf Lettuce (2 varieties)
Green Beans
Corn
Sweet Peppers
Hot Peppers
Zucchini
Butternut Squash
Buttercup Squash
Pumpkins
Watermelon
Gourds














I try to stop by once a week to do some weeding and check out the progress of my veggies. I'm very impatiently waiting for everything to start blossoming and some veggies to start appearing!

What is one your favourite childhood memories?

What would you/do you plant in your vegetable garden?

Have a great day!

Andrea
xoxo

5 comments:

  1. I have a small garden, but nothing like yours. Wow! Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG....your garden does look amazing! Hoping your weather continues good to get a full crop from everything!
    Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden looks fantastic! You should be proud of it!

    I immediately thought Children of the Corn when I saw that photo. Creeepy.

    ReplyDelete