Thursday, August 23, 2012

In the Mood for Comfort Food

Ah.....warm days, cool nights. That's what we've been having here in Southwestern Ontario and it's been absolute perfection.

My tastebuds and cravings have been all over the map. I can't help but stop everytime I pass a nearby veggie stand, yet my oven has definitely been on alot more this week than it has been since early Spring. 

Dare I say that I'm starting to look forward to Fall and the comfort food that comes with?! As much as I love the fresh, summer produce I think I am. Fall is my favourite time of the year and I am ready to welcome it with open arms.

As soon as I got home last night, I cut into a fresh cantalope that I'd bought. In order to use up all the produce that I buy, I'm one of those people that needs to wash and cut my fruit and veggies right away. If I leave it for another day, it often ends up spoiling before I ever get to it.



This was one of those melons that smelled of sweetness as soon as you put it up to your nose. I had a feeling it was going to be really good and I was right!! It was the best cantalope that I have ever, and I mean EVER, eaten. I chopped the entire melon up, ate a bunch right outta the bowl, made a sweet treat that I'm hoping to share with you real soon and packed up a couple of containers, so I could take some melon to work with me today and tomorrow.

After my melon, I got to work making homemade tomato soup for dinner and topped it with some shredded cheddar. Yummers!!!


After dinner, I was procratstinating so I wouldn't have to clean the bathroom in the mood for more kitchen creativity, so I decided to try a couple of recipes that I'd found online recently.

First, I made some Whole Wheat Banana Peach Muffins (recipe by Jenna at eat, live, run). These were so tasty! I loved them so much that I may have eaten three last night...no, I am not joking and there is no strikeout being used here my friends :)



I also decided to make some slow cooker oatmeal for breakfast this morning. Slow Cooker?!?! Whoa....that definitely screams Fall right?!  I  made Janetha's slow cooked apple cinnamon steel cut oats. Talk about waking up to heaven in your very own home. The smell of apples and cinnamon greeted me at the door when I got up this morning. This oatmeal might be my new all-time favourite breakfast --- it is DELICIOUS!! I bought steel cut oats at the bulk store a few months ago, but I really didn't know what to do with them. Boy, do I know now!! Go check out the recipe and check out the other links that Janetha shares in her post. I'm thinking some banana coconut oats might be in this girl's immediate future.



What is your favourite oatmeal combo?

So now I am fueled and off to work for the day. I hope you have a great one!

Andrea
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment