Wednesday, September 26, 2012

What I Ate Wednesday

Howdy! Finally we've arrived at the first Wednesday of Fall....we've all been talking about Fall since Labour Day weekend, but now you just can't deny it ---- it's only 3 short months 'til Christmas ;-)

I joke, I joke {now don't you be cursing me haha}
--- I love Fall and I'd really like it stick around for a while.


We've been super busy lately, so my goals have been pretty simple. Try to find enough time (& energy!) to eat healthy and stay active despite our hectic schedule.

It's been tough to find time to get to the gym, so I'm continuing to work towards my goal of running a 5K in October by running at least twice a week. We live in a rural community, so my runs are so quiet and peaceful....usually it's just me & the cows.


When trying to eat well, my meal planning has been a HUGE help. There's no time wasted figuring out what to make for meals --- I have an idea what we're going to have with all the ingredients on hand. It also discourages frequent nights of take out :)


Breakfast

Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats is still my go to. I'm getting pretty predictable, aren't I?! I can't help but love them because it takes 5 minutes to put together at night and I wake up to a  hearty, healthy breakfast.


Lunch

I've been relying on leftovers and make-ahead salads. Yesterday I had garlicky kale, speedy three bean salad and cottage cheese.



Snacks

I'm going to need some afternoon protein if I'm going to run right after work. I am in love with raspberry cheesecake Greek yogourt (non-fat plain Greek yogourt, lemon juice, stevia, raspberries).


Dinner

We've had several awesome dinners lately and I couldn't narrow it down to one, so you get to see two from earlier this week.

Last night we had butternut fries with honey dijon and basil scalloped tomatoes with croutons. Those tomatoes are one of my all-time FAVE side dishes; especially when it's made with cherry tomatoes straight from my garden.



Earlier in the week, I had sauted kale with a quinoa/bulger mix, sweet potato rounds and a piece of bruschetta using 12 grain sourdough bread that I got at the farmer's market on Saturday.


For dessert, I made a healthy apple cobbler with the last of my Ginger Crisp apples. All that's missing was some vanilla bean ice cream!



 DEEELISH!

I know there are lots of you reading this who are just as busy as Derek and I. Frankly, I am personally in awe of all you amazing parents out there that manage kids, careers and a home --- I could really use some of your multitasking skills! If you'd like more meal ideas and tips on how to make and keep your goals this Fall, head on over to Peas & Crayons to get your creative juices flowing.

How do you squeeze in healthy eats and exercise when your life gets crazy busy?

What is your favourite apple baked good?

Have a fabulous Wednesday!

Andrea
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. All of your dinners sound fantastic! Quietness really can make for the perfect run!

    ReplyDelete