Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A Most Egg-cellent Clean Sammie

Life can get in the way of our healthy goals. I know this because it's been happening to me alot lately. I have a vision of how I want myself to look and feel and I  know that my goals are totally attainable if I could just stick to the plan I've laid out, but then life happens. Everyday I get up, pack a clean lunch with lots of healthy snacks, drink my water, head to the gym after work, get home between 7 & 8 p.m. and then stuff my face full of whatever food is ready and at my fingertips. Not. Good.

I love spending time in the kitchen trying new recipes and cooking up wholesome, healthy meals for dinner. This time of year, I'm drawn to casseroles and roasted veggies and all types of comfort foods, but I've had to accept the fact that there are some days when I'm going to have to whip up something quick and easy, so that I don't turn to junk food as a substitute for my dinner or wind up eating dinner at 10 p.m.

This sandwich has been one of my regular "go to" meals lately. It works for breakfast , lunch or dinner and I've enjoyed it at all times of the day. I got the idea from Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Vegetarian Cookbook and tweaked it a bit to suit my tastes. It's easy, tastes great and most importantly it's healthy and clean and fits nicely with my goals.

All you do is scramble up 1/4 cup of egg whites in a small non-stick frying pan. Add in a few drops of Frank's Red Hot (I like lots!!!) and a tablespoon of nutritional yeast. Once the egg is finished cooking, I like to make my sandwich with a toasted whole grain English muffin or flatbread smothered with a whole lotta dijon mustard. Don't skip the dijon my friends, it makes this sandwich!!!

Photo: Must haves for the perfect breakfast sandwich: Frank's Red Hot & dijon!

Now this is WAY healthier than the old egg sandwich I used to eat --- picture a scrambled egg on toast topped with a processed cheese slice and lotsa ketchup. Welp! I used to eat that a couple of times per week!!!

Do you have a quick and easy 'go to' meal when life gets hectic?

 
Pinned Image

Have a great day my friends!
Andrea
xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Amen to "don't skip the dijon"!! :) My go-to healthy meal is a garbage salad (whatever veggies I have on hand), topped with whatever protein I can find (eggs, beans, quinoa, tuna) and some nooch/tahini dressing that I make to keep in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My go to is instant brown rice (um.. maybe not the healthiest) with whatever veggies I have in the house, and some Tapatio hot sauce. If I'm making it for dinner sometimes I add an egg so the husband get's full enough. It's almost like fried rice, but it takes less than 5 minutes and I don't feel guilty about eating it. =]

    Your sandwich looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I love egg sandwiches...and I would love the mustard! It's one of my favorite condiments!

    ReplyDelete